DivorceDissolution of Marriage (Divorce)

In Florida a divorce is referred to in the law as a dissolution of marriage. Florida is a no-fault state, which, in general, means that it does not matter whose fault it is that the marriage is being dissolved and it is not necessary to prove grounds in order for the court to dissolve the marriage. In most cases all that must be proven is that the marriage is irretrievably broken. If either party denies that the marriage is irretrievably broken, the Court has the power to abate (stop) the action for a certain period of time and order the parties to attend marriage counseling in an effort to save the marriage.

Some dissolution of marriage actions involve a very limited number of issues while others involve many complex issues and even sub-issues. Generally the issues involved in such an action are addressed in a certain order as follows: (1) parental responsibility and timesharing issues related to the children born of the marriage; (2) equitable distribution of assets and debts; (3) alimony; (4) child support, liability for medical insurance for the children and liability for life insurance to secure child support; (5) liability for attorney’s fees and court costs for the adverse party and all other issues that need to be addressed.

In Brevard County and most other counties in Florida all contested dissolution of marriage cases will be referred to family mediation. It is important to make a good faith attempt to settle all issues in a dissolution of marriage action and the Court will make efforts, including referring the case to family mediation, to encourage the parties to come to an agreement on some, if not all, of the issues involved. It is often said that there are no better persons in the world to resolve issues in a dissolution of marriage action than the parties to the action.

Whether your case settles prior to mediation, is referred to mediation or ends up in a trial on all or some of the issues, it is important that you have aggressive and competent representation. At Trader Law our attorneys will help you in trying to obtain a reasonable settlement of your dissolution of marriage action in order to avoid the expense, aggravation and uncertainty of a trial, but if your case cannot be settled on a reasonable basis, we will aggressively represent you at trial. Give us a call today at (321) 723-6731 to schedule a consultation!


Rudi Trader is a Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Mediator. He has practiced law as an attorney handling family law cases for over thirty years. His extensive experience in handling family law cases makes him uniquely qualified to act as a family law mediator and help the parties get their case resolved without the expense, aggravation and uncertainty of a contested trial or hearing. Rudi is available to mediate family law cases prior to the case being filed with the court or after the case has already been filed.


Juvenile Dependency

Juvenile dependency actions are filed when a parent has been accused of abuse, abandonment, or neglect of a minor child. Although dependency actions can be filed by certain individuals, they are usually filed by the Department of Children and Families (DCF) of the State of Florida. If you have been accused of abusing, abandoning, or neglecting a minor child in a dependency action, call Trader Legal at (321) 723-6731 for aggressive, experienced, and competent representation.