Designations of Healthcare Surrogate

Under Florida law, any competent adult may designate authority to a Health Care Surrogate to make all healthcare decisions during any period of incapacity. Under Florida law, designation of a Health Care Surrogate should be made through a written document and should be signed in the presence of two witnesses, at least one of whom is neither the spouse not a blood relative of the Designation of Healthcare Surrogate maker.

Upon incapacity of the Health Care Surrogates maker, the Health Care Surrogate has the duty to consult expeditiously with appropriate healthcare providers. The Health Care Surrogate must also provide informed consent and make only healthcare decisions for the maker, which he or she believes the maker would have made under the circumstances if the maker were capable of making such decisions. If there is no indication of what healthcare decisions the maker would have made under the circumstances, the Health Care Surrogate may consider the maker’s best interest in deciding on a course of treatment.

Trader Legal offers a Healthcare and Estate Planning Package which includes the following estate planning documents: Last Will and Testament, Living Will, Designation of Healthcare Surrogate, Designation of Preneed Guardian, and Durable Power of Attorney. Give us a call today at (321) 723-6731 for package pricing and more information.


Rudi Trader is a Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Mediator. He has practiced law as an attorney handling family law cases for over thirty years. His extensive experience in handling family law cases makes him uniquely qualified to act as a family law mediator and help the parties get their case resolved without the expense, aggravation and uncertainty of a contested trial or hearing. Rudi is available to mediate family law cases prior to the case being filed with the court or after the case has already been filed.


Juvenile Dependency

Juvenile dependency actions are filed when a parent has been accused of abuse, abandonment, or neglect of a minor child. Although dependency actions can be filed by certain individuals, they are usually filed by the Department of Children and Families (DCF) of the State of Florida. If you have been accused of abusing, abandoning, or neglecting a minor child in a dependency action, call Trader Legal at (321) 723-6731 for aggressive, experienced, and competent representation.