Temporary Custody by Extended Family Member

Temporary custody allows a person to act as the parent of a child who lives with him or her and his not his or her child. In order to petition for temporary custody, you must be an adult or emancipated minor and you must also be an extended family member or step-parent of the child for which you are requesting temporary custody over.

An extended family member is a relative of a minor child within the third degree by blood or marriage to the parent or the stepparent of a minor child if the stepparent is currently married to the parent of the child and is not a party in any civil or criminal case against the parent of the child.