Child Custody

Termination of Parental Rights

Under Florida law, grounds for the termination of parental rights may be established under any of the following circumstances:

  • When a written surrender has been executed by the parent. This typically occurs when placing a child for adoption. The written surrender is a form completed by the parent and executed in front of two witnesses and a notary public. The written surrender is a parent’s way of voluntarily giving up whatever parental rights he or she may have. It is important that a parent carefully consider whether to sign a written surrender because once it is signed, it cannot be withdrawn unless the parent shows that he or she signed it under fraud or duress (that is, someone tricked or threatened the parent into signing the surrender).
  • When a parent has abandoned the child. Abandonment has a legal definition and occurs when the parent has made no real effort to establish a positive parent-child relationship with the child and/or has failed to make any substantial contribution to providing for the child’s needs. A parent who drops off his or her child at a relative’s home and then vanishes can be found to have abandoned the child if a sufficient period of time has passed. In addition, a parent who cannot be located for 60 or more days can have his or her parental rights terminated by the court.
  • When a parent threatens the wellbeing of the child. In this case, the threat does not have to necessarily affect the child’s physical health – any action or inaction that threatens the physical, mental, or emotional health of the child can be considered. Generally, though, the action needs to be so serious that it convinces a court that the parent poses a continuing threat to the child’s welfare.


  • When a parent is incarcerated. If a parent is presently incarcerated, a court can determine that terminating the parental rights is appropriate. This is likely to occur if the parent will remain incarcerated for a significant portion of the child’s life, has committed certain violent or sexual-related offenses, or has established a pattern of behavior that shows the parent will likely continue to be incarcerated throughout the child’s life.
  • When a child has been adjudicated as dependent. If a child is an adjudicated dependent and the parents have not complied with the case plan for a period of time, a court can terminate a parent’s rights. A court can find that there is evidence of continuing abuse, that a parent has not made significant progress on the case plan for 12 out of the last 22 months, or that clear and convincing evidence demonstrates that the parent will not be able to substantially comply with the case plan.
  • When there has been egregious conduct. Egregious conduct – like abandonment, neglect, abuse or other deplorable, flagrant, or outrageous conduct – that either was committed by the parent or that occurred and the parent did not take action to protect the child can be the basis for a petition to terminate parental rights. The “egregious conduct” does not necessarily need to be committed against the child but can occur to a sibling of the child.
  • When a parent has had other children either placed outside the home or had rights involuntarily terminated. If the parent has had other children involuntarily removed from the home or had his or her parental rights terminated as to other children, the court may terminate a parent’s rights.

Procedure for Terminating Parental Rights

In order to afford parents every opportunity to preserve their parental rights, Florida law requires certain procedures be followed.

  • The process of terminating parental rights begins with the filing of a petition. The petition can be filed by any number of individuals or entities. For instance, a child’s guardian ad litem can file a motion, as can a person who has physical custody of the child. The petition must contain certain facts, including the basis or reason why termination of parental rights is sought. Where the termination of parental rights is sought in connection with an adoption, the petition must set forth facts showing that either the parent’s consent to the adoption was obtained or that the parent’s consent does not need to be obtained.
  • The court will hold a hearing on the petition. The purpose of the hearing is to allow the court to receive evidence and testimony in support of the allegations contained in the petition. In cases of a petition brought by the child’s guardian ad litem (in a dependency proceeding), the court is guided ultimately by what is in the manifest best interests of the child. Where termination of parental rights is sought in connection with an adoption, the court must make written findings and find by clear and convincing evidence that it is appropriate that the parent’s rights should be terminated.


Rudi Trader is a Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Mediator. He has practiced law as an attorney handling family law cases for over thirty years. His extensive experience in handling family law cases makes him uniquely qualified to act as a family law mediator and help the parties get their case resolved without the expense, aggravation and uncertainty of a contested trial or hearing. Rudi is available to mediate family law cases prior to the case being filed with the court or after the case has already been filed.


Juvenile Dependency

Juvenile dependency actions are filed when a parent has been accused of abuse, abandonment, or neglect of a minor child. Although dependency actions can be filed by certain individuals, they are usually filed by the Department of Children and Families (DCF) of the State of Florida. If you have been accused of abusing, abandoning, or neglecting a minor child in a dependency action, call Trader Legal at (321) 723-6731 for aggressive, experienced, and competent representation.